Bookmark and Share

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to the NonprofitMaine blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Nonprofit Help Desk FAQ: Annual Filing Requirements

by Molly O'Connell

There are certain annual filings that all nonprofits should have on their calendars.

  • Annual Federal Tax Filing. Also known as the Form 990 series, this is what you use to report to the IRS. Which version of the form you complete (990, 990-EZ, 990-N, 990-PF) will depend on the size and type of your organization, and all nonprofits, with the exception of churches and those that are very very small need to file. This is due on the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of your fiscal year – usually either November 15th or May 15th. Read our blog post about the Form 990 series, and in addition to fees for filing late, failure to file for 3 consecutive years results in loss of tax-exemption.
  • Maine Corporate Filing. Nonprofits that are incorporated in Maine must file an Annual Report with the Secretary of State’s Bureau of Corporations. The deadline is June 1st each year. The filing can be completed online, though paper forms printed from their site are also accepted. Note that the office no longer mails a reminder, so it’s very important to ensure that your “registered agent” (point person for your organization) is up to date and/or to record the date in your calendar. Visit the Bureau of Corporations website for more information.
  • Charitable Solicitations Reporting Requirements. A nonprofit that solicits contributions in Maine and does not meet certain exemption requirements must register annually by November 30 with the Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation as a charitable solicitor. Additionally, organizations that are not exempt must complete an Annual Fundraising Activity Report. Review MANP’s white paper on  Fundraising and Charitable Solicitation to learn more.

Those are the three big dates that should be on your nonprofit’s radar, but please note that depending on your work, there may be additional licenses you will need to maintain.

2 thoughts on “Nonprofit Help Desk FAQ: Annual Filing Requirements

Earl Taylor says:

Is there a requirement for a state return each year stating income? For example, Massachusetts has a form PC, which would be the equivalent of a tax return, but it is submitted to the Attorney General. Does Maine have any requirements for reporting other than the Annual Report to the Secretary of State’s Bureau of Corporations?

Molly O'Connell says:

Hi Earl,

I think our post on annual filing requirements will be useful. The Annual Report to the Secretary of State’s Bureau of Corporations is the main corporate requirement. Depending on the whether or not the organization meets exemption criteria, it may also be required to register as a charitable solicitor and file an Annual Fundraising Activity Report (also referenced at the same link above). Some nonprofits sell products that incur sales taxes that will need to be filed. Nonprofits that do direct lobbying should be aware of the Maine Ethics Commission registration thresholds. Depending on what type of work the nonprofit performs, there may be other licensure requirements. I hope that helps!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *